[CS-FSLUG] IDE Errors and windows defrag

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Sun Sep 26 23:00:44 CDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:30:00 -0400
Bradly McConnell <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like I've confused my system.  I get the following errors:
> hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=40001664,
> sector=40001664
> hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> Error }
>
> I've seen some places where it points to a disk failure, but in this
> case I believe it is actually caused by running defrag in windows -
> diskkeeper, not the included version.  A fresh install of FC2 will run
> fine until the first time the defrag is run, and then the same errors.
>  Does this sound correct?  I've checked the disk out with spinrite,
> and everything looks fine.  It's a 60GB, with a 30GB FAT32, and the
> rest is / , and swap.  Once the boot is complete, and X loads, there
> are no more errors - I can still access everything with no problems.
> Just curious to see if I am correct with the assumption that "windows
> did it"  Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Brad

I had a similar problem with a Toshiba laptop, Windows ME and Mandrake.
I did the defrag (I think it must have been a modified Toshiba one) and
no-more access to Mandrake -- not even with the boot floppy! Goodbye
Windows!! -- never had any problems since (except that it is a celron
and it seems to *lag* a bit when I have a few apps all going at the same
time).

So yes, it is probably a Windows thing.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com