[CS-FSLUG] CBS Fined $550K for Super Bowl Broadcast

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Sep 23 15:32:56 CDT 2004

On Thursday September 23 2004 3:57 am, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> Quoting Fred Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>:
> > The fine isn't large enough, IMHO, but it could have been worse.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > http://www.parentstv.org/
>
> I'm a little bit curious as to what you might consider an appropriate fine.
> I'll agree that CBS makes an insane amount of money off the games, but I'm
> unsure as to how to attach a $$$ figure to something.

It's a hard question, to be sure, but it needs to be large enough that it
"hurts."

> I also wonder how appropriate it is to attach a fine to something that
> takes place "accidentally" (whether the act was intentional by the person
> who committed it I'm unsure, but I doubt it was done with CBS approval) on
> a live event.  Is the half-time show actually put on by CBS, or is it
> organized by the NFL?

From what I've read from several sources, someone at the NFL did know in
advance, and the company that put the "event" on at half-time DID know. That
company, the name of which I don't remember, has VERY close times to CBS. Of
course, CBS WON'T admit any knowledge of what was planned but then, the
management at CBS isn't anymore honest than Dan Blather.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."