[CS-FSLUG] Java and J#.net

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Sep 22 23:02:58 CDT 2004

I've got a big assignment to do in history, I've got
until December 21st to hand it in but nevertheless
its still going to be a bit of work. We got to chose
our own topic for it and I chose cryptography.

I wanted to make a working encryption program for this
assignment and after consultin my computer science
teacher from last year I've found out that Java is
probably my best bet for this project. Before continuing
I'd like to provide some background information on this
since its the entire point of my posting.

The school only has Visual Studio .net, that means that
they should have Visual Basic.net, C#.net, VC++.net and
J#.net, in order to use C++ to write the cryptography
program I would have to use the Qt libraries since I've
used them more than the less pleasent C++ STL, as such
I'm not familiar enough with standard C++ to do this.
Java seems to be my only good alternative as long as J#.net
will also compile valid Java code, I know Microsoft is way
behind in Java and my internet searches have shown that
J# is about equal to Java 1.1.8 -- the oldest version of
Java still available.

I've already written two encryption schemes, one simple
reversed alphabet cypher and one cesar cypher, I've got
the brunt of the work now so I should be able to write
new cyphers with the greatest of ease (inheritance is a
wonderful thing :-) ). I've compiled the code with Java
1.1.8 as the target and I even went to the trouble of
downloading and installing a really old java 1.1.8
SDK so I know for sure it should work with that version
of Java.

What I don't know is whether this will work with J#.net,
the reason it has to be compatible is because the school
computers have been crippled and the only way I'll be
able to run my program at school is by using the J# IDE
to compile and run the code. I would have written all
this in C++ using Qt but the only programs that will run
on those computers are Visual Studio, MS Office and IE,
no Windows Explorer, no CD autorun, not even a zip program.

I need to know whether J# will run the code I'm writing,
if anyone here has a copy I'd be more then happy to send
over a zip of the files so their compatibility can be
tested.

BTW. I did try to wrap the text as best I but right now
I'm sending this from Windows and my e-mail client there
is very minimalistic.