[CS-FSLUG] How to keep from getting spammed?

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Sep 22 16:35:05 CDT 2004

On Tuesday September 21 2004 11:47 pm, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
> What a pain spam is. I've been working lately on how to avoid spam. I have
> one ISP account that is so infested with spam that I am canceling it. I'd
> like to know, how do all of you avoid/control/handle spam? Right now,
> Verizon is my ISP,  but I have all of my mail forwarded/routed through
> Runbox.com, which has pretty good spam filtering. That way I don't have to
> deal with it on my computer, it gets filtered out on their server. There
> are some services which operate on a challenge/respond system, i.e.
> spamarrest.com, bluebottle.com, and cashette.com, are three that I am
> familiar with. But some legitimate senders are offended by this, so for now
> that's why I decided to go with runbox.com, they use a combination of
> spammassassin and dshield. I would like to start posting on some of the
> Linux newsgroups, but I know that is one of the prime harvesting fields for
> spammers to collect email addresses. So for now I am avoiding them. So, I'd
> like to hear from everybody, what do you do to avoid spam? If you do post
> on newsgroups, do you munge your email address, or what do you do? If you
> have a foolproof system for avoiding spam, I'd like to know about it. So,
> lets talk spam!

SPAM is a very complicated problem, as I'm sure you're aware of. I've found
that for me, with a single 'puter here, that it's much easier for me to
filter the mail with filters I create in KMail.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."