[CS-FSLUG] How to keep from getting spammed?

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Tue Sep 21 22:47:46 CDT 2004

What a pain spam is. I've been working lately on how to avoid spam. I have one
ISP account that is so infested with spam that I am canceling it. I'd like to
know, how do all of you avoid/control/handle spam? Right now, Verizon is my
ISP,  but I have all of my mail forwarded/routed through Runbox.com, which
has pretty good spam filtering. That way I don't have to deal with it on my
computer, it gets filtered out on their server. There are some services which
operate on a challenge/respond system, i.e. spamarrest.com, bluebottle.com,
and cashette.com, are three that I am familiar with. But some legitimate
senders are offended by this, so for now that's why I decided to go with
runbox.com, they use a combination of spammassassin and dshield. I would like
to start posting on some of the Linux newsgroups, but I know that is one of
the prime harvesting fields for spammers to collect email addresses. So for
now I am avoiding them. So, I'd like to hear from everybody, what do you do
to avoid spam? If you do post on newsgroups, do you munge your email address,
or what do you do? If you have a foolproof system for avoiding spam, I'd like
to know about it. So, lets talk spam!

Jerry,
a spam hater

--
The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org