[CS-FSLUG] Switching to linux

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Sep 20 09:01:09 CDT 2004

The digital ID is actually a combination of a number of items.  That is what
makes the task of probing your hardware and determining what you have such a
joy.  :)  There are certain combinations of things that are coded into each
hardware.  Vendor IDs, Device ID, Device names, Functions (sound, bridge,
network device, etc.).  Tools that probe your hardware find out all the things
that your particular piece of hardware have hardcoded into it, and then
compares it to it's database.  So it is not really one large number or
anything, but rather a series of strings.  If you can find your device (through
isapnp, lspnp, lspci, or one of those), you copy as many of the strings as you
can (minus the IRQ and stuff that changes per machine), paste them into google,
and see what happens...

	- Tim