[CS-FSLUG] A couple of thoughts on denominations

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:36:24 CDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:04:54 GMT, cyratt at netzero.com <cyratt at netzero.com> wrote:

> Denominationalism is mans means of doing things contrary to God's will.
> God never, and I repeat NEVER Intended for the church to be segmented in the way we have been. When the church began in the upper room we were in unity (one accord, one mind). Jesus in the time He prayed for the church in John 17 never said that we should be divided. Dear Brothers He said that we should be One as He and the Father are ONE.
>
> Let us be brought together in Him. One heart, One Mind, One soul. No more bigotry, no more division. One In Him.

Do you remember when Paul & Barnabase split over Timothy?  It was a
difficult issue.  So, too, Paul & Peter did not exactly see eye to eye
on at least one issue.  Yet, they were united in their view of Christ
as Messiah, the Savior of the world.  I would love to see
denominational walls fall apart, and, as the words of the song, "they
will know that we are Christians by our love, by our love; they will
know we are Christians by our love.

Here in Charlotte, I've been involved with Steele Creek Church.  We
have a strange mixture of Southern Baptist, Evangelical, and even
Pentecostal pastors in our missions network.  We have put aside our
denominational grumblings, although it is possible that at some point,
we would wind up as a denomination, the goal is to say, "the Church at
Charlotte", rather than "this church" or "that church".

While I would disagree with the Lutherans on transubstantiation, I
also consider myself very much united with them "in Christ".  I tend
to be a bit more open than you, Ed, probably because of my upbringing.
 The Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, started out as an attempt
to "not be a denomination", but a movement to break down
denominational walls.  My understanding is that a Presbyterian and a
Methodist started the whole thing.  Their creed is "no creed but
Christ".  But they didn't throw out the baby with the bathwater,
either.

I'm not a part of that denomination now, mainly due to God's calling on my life.
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com