[CS-FSLUG] Television

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun Sep 19 12:32:54 CDT 2004

> I don't totally agree. I say this for if the cable companies start
> losing
> large numbers of customers (moral christian and concerned
> non-christians
> alike), they might want to re-examine what is on television.
> Thankfully, the

	Wouldn't they assume the opposite? After all, CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox/UPN air
worse stuff than many cable stations.

> FCC is starting to take a greater interest in what is on television
> and have
> started to say "hold up" on some of the programming. Indeed, it may be
> possible to petition the FCC to tell the various television stations
> that
> certain types of programming (regardless of what the station may make
> from
> airing it) is inappropriate. Indeed, I'd be in favor of an e-mail or
> snail
> mail petition to the FCC on this.

	The FCC's power is limited here: it can't censor or censure cable TV
stations, only broadcast ones (as if they really do that very much).

	I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here that I bet a lot of people
on this list won't like. I'm not entirely for the FCC doing much. I
think it should go after the really blatant issues like the Super Bowl
incident, but I fear what could happen if the FCC became a serious
censoring agent. The more power the government welds, the worse off we
become.

	Self regulation -- caused by people refusing to watch stations like
CBS and Fox that push the limits -- seem like the best approach to me.
If not enough people quit watching to make something happen, then there
probably aren't enough people to make the FCC do anything useful
either.

	Just my $0.02...

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)