[CS-FSLUG] "How to Start a Fire"

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Sep 18 20:47:30 CDT 2004

A WORD WITH YOU
By Ron Hutchcraft
#4615 - "How to Start a Fire"
1 Kings 18:32

Listen to the audio broadcast!
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?p=pnm&f=/rhm/sounds/awwy/awwy4615.rm

        One sure way to get our whole family together in one room at one time
was to turn down the heat a little on a cold night and then build a fire in
the fireplace. Slowly but surely, the kids' rooms upstairs would empty out as
they made their way downstairs and said, "Man, it's cold up there! Hey,
you've got a fire in here!" We all loved those fires. Building a good one
involved several key steps, of course. First, you roll some newspapers into
logs and put them into the fireplace. Then those little sticks that burn
easily - they're the kindling. Then the logs stacked alternately on the
kindling, leaving plenty of room, of course, for air to circulate around the
wood. It looked nice, but it wasn't a fire. There was a missing ingredient.
It took that match to make it a fire. But a match all alone did not a fire
make.

        I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about "How
to Start a Fire."

        Before the match lit up the fireplace, I always had to do all the
things needed to get the fire ready. That's what it takes for a spiritual
fire to start, too. The kind of fire that may be what your church, your
ministry, your life desperately needs right now.

        We can learn a lot about our part in bringing down fire from God in
our word for today from the Word of God in 1 Kings 18, beginning with verse
32. God's prophet Elijah has challenged 450 leaders of Baal worship to a
spiritual duel on Mt. Carmel. Whose God could answer from heaven and consume
by fire a sacrifice on the altar? That true God would be the one Israel would
worship.

        In spite of every spiritual contortion the Baal Gang could go through,
their sacrifice sat untouched on the altar. The Bible says Elijah took the
following steps: "He built an altar in the name of the Lord. He arranged the
wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. At the time of
sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed. Then the fire of
the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice. When all the people saw this, they
fell prostrate and cried, 'The Lord - he is God! The Lord - he is God!'"
Elijah got things ready for a fire that only God could send. He acted like
fire would come, doing everything he could do, trusting God to do what only
He could do.

        That's so often God's modus operandi in sending us the miracle that is
our only hope. Abraham has to move from his home in order to found a new
people in a new land. Noah has to build a boat before there's any need for
that boat. Moses has to take the step of faith by choosing to go with a
nation of slaves instead of staying with a nation of masters in order to see
the miracles of the Exodus. You get things ready by steps of faith and
obedience that God calls you to do. Then He sends the fire. Our approach is
like this: "Do something, God, and I'll get moving." God's approach: "No. You
start moving, and I'll do something."

        Billy Graham has often told the story of a visit to Yosemite National
Park where visitors gathered in the valley beneath Inspiration Point, and
this fire blazed at the top of the mountain. The U.S. Park Service put on
this amazing demonstration. The voice boomed across the valley, "Let the fire
fall!" And it did! A ball of fire cascading down the mountain in this blazing
Niagara!

        Often in recent days, I have prayed, "Lord, let the fire fall" on our
ministry, on those I love, on spiritually important meetings or
conversations. I want the fire of heaven to come down and do the life-giving,
amazing things that only God can do. But He's got something He's wanting me
to do, and you, to get ready for the fire.

Discuss today's "A Word With You," post your comments, or encourage others in
our discussion forum!
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/rhm/awwy

To find out how you can begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
please visit YOURS FOR LIFE: HOW TO HAVE LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
at:
http://www.yoursforlife.net
Or, call 1-888-NEED HIM.

"A Word With You" by Ron Hutchcraft is a daily radio challenge, with
slice-of-life illustrations and insights - providing practical help on the
issues that matter most. If your local Christian radio station does not air
"A Word With You," please let them know how much you value this program. Over
six years of transcripts are available online, at
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/awwy/

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries is a member of the Gospel Communications Network -
http://www.gospelcom.net

"A Word With You" is a production of:

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/
Email: RHM at hutchcraft.com
Phone: 1-877-741-1200

Copyright (c) 2004, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via
email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it
will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce
"A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet
websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

Copyright (c) 2004, Ron Hutchcraft. Reprinted with permission. "A Word With
You" is a radio outreach of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."