[CS-FSLUG] ReplyTo: Headers

Jerry VB jerryvb at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 21:04:46 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:47:11PM -0500, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

> >Isn't it true that any decent mail list admin
>
> 	This part had me worried at first. ;-)
>
> >will set the ReplyTo: header to
> >the address of the mailing list? I'm on another mail list and the
> >admin refuses
> >to set it. It's *real* annoying to have to click ReplyToAll:, and then
> >edit the
> >headers to make sure that you don't email everybody.
>
> 	That's what I think, but I know some folks don't agree. I've never
> heard a very good reason though.
>
> > I noticed that Tim has it
> >set properly for this list, good boy Tim!
>
> 	Woof!
>
> >But, what abou this web site:
> >http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>

> 	Well, the guy doesn't "get it," in my opinion. Reply-to-All isn't
> 	the wonderful fix he makes it out to be -- it causes the replied to person
> to get two copies of the message rather than one. Furthermore, modern
> e-mail clients allow methods of forwarding an entire message (such as
> Redirect) that don't require using the Reply-to field. I'd tend to
> think -- especially on a list that is sensitive to who the "From" field
> (like most are, including this one) -- that there is virtually no
> benefit to the Reply-To field as a place for one's address... if your
> address isn't in the From field, it ain't gonna be posted anyway. :-)
>
> 	I get the idea this is someone being a little too insistent on the
> 	way things were suppose to be back when Altairs roamed the earth.
>
> 	-Tim

Well, Im with you Tim. When you are reading mailing list email, *normally* when
you hit the Reply button you want to reply to the list, *not* to the author.
*If* you want to reply to the author only, then you can edit the header to send
him the message. It seems to me that the *normal* reply action is to the list.
Ahem, some people's children ....

> Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
> | Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
> |      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
> | GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
> |            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |

The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org