LCD's (was: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Linux/Programming magazines)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 15 17:40:59 CDT 2004

> I wouldn't consider the button ordering in Windows to be corrupted,
> when

	By corrupt, I meant, in many cases, Microsoft didn't fully "translate"
the way the GUI worked from Apple. Since that time, though, Windows has
been "fixed" to be more like the Mac in many cases.

> someone asks you a yes or no question isn't "yes" the first one they
> mention
> and then "no", Windows, BeOS and KDE use button orderings that fit in
> better
> with the way we use the English language.

	Usually, they don't specify yes and no at all. :-) Which is what
you'll find with the Mac. It doesn't have a lot of yes and no buttons
at all.

	Typically, though, for instance in a save dialog, the save (yes?)
option will be on the far right. There's a reason for this: if it is
toward the inside, it might not be in the same place every time if
there are more or less options or the box is bigger or smaller. On the
right side (or for that matter the left side of the box if buttons went
there) it can be "fixed" in one place in most dialogs for faster
access.

	Of course, I wouldn't base my preference for the Mac on this (either
way, even if I did care about such a difference) because there are so
few such boxes on the Mac. They just aren't common.

> preference so I'll just say that I don't like the way Mac OS and GTK
> have the
> buttons arranged and for that reason I'm avoiding both.

	Well, so far, I haven't been able to find a case where Mac OS has a
"No" "Cancel" "Yes" box like GTK. It could be they observe the
arrangement you like, although I'd bet not. But, as I said, I can't
even find one, so I wouldn't avoid it for something it doesn't seem to
do (if only by the nature of the fact that such things are a rarity).
:-)

> The only things I liked about Apple to begin with were:
>  - They weren't Microsoft

	I guess this works, although it probably isn't a good reason, I'd
wager, by itself.

>  - Their computers and devices look nice

	No arguing there.

>  - Mac OS X had a nice theme although now having used it in KDE for a
> while
> I'm sick of it.

	The KDE (Liquid) theme is truly a poor imitation of the Mac OS X
theme, something that only fully becomes noticeable when you actually
use both. I got tired of Liquid fairly fast, but not Aqua.

>  - Mac OS X has some KDE applications ported or being ported such as
> KOffice
> and the KHTML rendering engine.

	That is indeed interesting. It's UNIXy side is nice.

> I think portability would win over a slight advantage when compiling
> and since

	Well, it is way more than a slight advantage, but then again, you
aren't exactly compiling your whole OS every day, are ya?

> I use C++ you can imagine I spend a lot of time compiling and testing
> my
> programs. Anyway a Mac is still out of my price range as I have yet to
> get my
> very real job and for that matter Mac OS is too alien from what I'm
> used to,
> I think I'll stick with Linux, KDE & Qt Designer :-) .

It is definitely much cheaper. :-)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)