[CS-FSLUG] Random comment on comment

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 14 09:17:38 CDT 2004

On September 14, 2004 7:41 am, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
> > When you guys talk about interface, are you speaking of the UI?  I think
> > of the code interface when I say it...  Ad FYI Ed, in coding terms, clean
> > means that you allow those who will use your interface the functionality
> > they need, and no more.
>
> There we have a coder's viewpoint, and I can see that. But when someone
> writes a review and splatter around meaningless terms, I get cranky.
> Most of what I've ranted about so far applies to the reviewers, not the
> coders.

I know what thats like, a lot of people on OSNews like to write articles or
post comments as if they had doctorates on everything with a power cord
attached, they use all sorts of words interchangeably with "I like" and "I
don't like" to make it sound as if they are an expert on the subject and are
speaking on behalf of the majority of users. Really when they say something
like program such and such has an unclean interface they really should be
saying "I didn't like the user interface" but they want to make it sound as
if its more then just their opinion that the interface is bad. Probably the
worst offenders for this kind of missuse of words in an attempt to deceive
people is when the KDE and Gnome fanatics begin to fight over which window
manager is better, by now everyone must have heard the argument: "it has a
cleaner interface" or "it has a cleaner toolkit" etc... but thats not true
for either since its all relative to what each person likes.

[snip]