[CS-FSLUG] I'm back

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 12 01:04:29 CDT 2004

Hi everyone, I got my computer back yesterday after five weeks of waiting for
a simple motherboard replacement under warranty.

Just a little update on my situation with the computer, when I got it back
from the store I was completely unable to boot Mandrake, apparently it
couldn't find the initialisation scripts it would usually run right after
unpacking the kernel, fortunately the home folder was still intact and using
Explore2FS I was able to recover the contents of it from Windows XP. I'm also
missing half my ram because one of the chips got fried while the store was
replacing the motherboard and they told me they had replaced my CPU fan which
was working perfectly fine when I brought the computer in as compared to the
replacement which sounds more like the engine room of an aircraft carrier
then a simple CPU fan.

I've called the computer store and told them I want them to replace the noisy
replacement CPU fan and they said that I would have to bring the computer in
again so I told them to let me know when they actually have the replacement
parts in this time.

Other then that school is harder then ever, every day I have Math, History and
Physics along with a heap of Psychology homework every night, I have an
unusually hard semester because unlike the other students there I have to
make up for the time I was homeschooled.

Today spent almost all day out of the house, most of that time (probably a
little over 8 hours) was spent helping with Church renovations, unfortunately
now the main part of the church no longer has any windows and feels more like
the bat cave due to its lack of natural light, but on the bright side the
volunteer work also gets me credits in school since one of my classes
requires 8 hours of it in order to get 10% of the marks for that class if I'm
not mistaken on the numbers.

I've been considering taking a course on ham radio since I found out that
someone here teaches it and its likely also to cover some aspects of
electronics. Probably my biggest achievement in these five weeks though was
getting together the courage to apply for work at the CO-OP only a few blocks
from here, which for someone as shy as myself was quite difficult.

Finally yesterday I installed SUSE Linux 9.1 Pro and all the updates, I'm
pleased to report that now my USB jumpdrives work perfectly with it  *AND* I
have chosen a distribution I'm completely satisfied with.