[CS-FSLUG] What could cause this

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Sep 9 22:32:59 CDT 2004

I've just gotten my computer back from the store today after 5 weeks of waiting for them just to replace the motherboard under warranty. Upon trying Linux I found that it was dead. After starting, unpacking and starting the kernel the thing just died, I don't know exactly what happened myself but apparently as far as I can tell something was wrong with the initialization scripts because it would complain about a bunch of errors in some sort of script it was trying to execute and then it would ask me what runlevel to run in, whether I chose 3, 4 or 5 it wouldn't work and I was stuck with no way of getting in, even using the failsafe option.

The only difference between my computer now and the way it was before it went into the computer store is that one of my chips of ram was removed because it died, I'm currently waiting for a replacement for that. My CPU fan was replaced with an old thing that sounds like a band saw or a 747 taking off despite there being nothing wrong with it (I'll be asking them for my old fan back tomorrow when they open) and I think some settings in Widnows might have been changed.

I am (was) running Mandrake Linux 10.0 on the computer.

BTW. Sorry I couldn't wrap the text at 72 lines but as you may have guessed I can't use my Linux e-mail client for the moment.