[CS-FSLUG] laptop install again

R. Thompson ron.t at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 6 21:20:29 CDT 2004

I'm back at it, trying to get a stable OS for my old AST Ascentia-P
laptop.  Unfortunately (maybe its old age) escept for the notes I've
kept I don't recall what I'd done before that worked.  I have a couple
of questions.

   Would it be better to work with an older distribution (that used an
Xfree86 prior to 4.X.X (which dropped my video driver support) and
update the PCMCIA-CS to better than 3.1.26 (to cover my SMC 8041TX
netcard).

    Or, go with a newer distribution and downgrade to XFree86 3.X.X?

    For reasons that I do not understand, the newer bootable CD's don't
boot on this machine, older ones do.  Would it be easy to download a
light version of Linux onto the desktop and modify it to boot on my old
laptop?

    Any other suggestions?

           Ron T.
--
Ron G. Thompson, |^|
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada
www.petomai.org   ron at petomai.org
"Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as doves to their window?" Is
60:8