[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Sep 6 02:35:45 CDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:00:40PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> "I hereby release this software into the public domain. To the extent
> permitted by law, there is no warranty, no redress, no promises to
> consider broken, no specific or implied fitness for purpose. I would
> appreciate attribution in any derivatives, preferably including
> reproduction of this paragraph or as much of it as is compatible with
> any derived licencing in a form accessible to everyday users, but this
> is not a requirement."

Excellent.  Now I don't have to write one.

> RMS is an excellent illustration of many things Christian, but not
> intentionally. He regards Christians as idiots, as do many Humanists.
>
> The GPL embodies "do unto others". RMS would like to be able to research
> and modify any software he uses, so he releases his own software under
> a licence which requires that this always be possible; he also
> encourages others to do likewise.

Well, I would not have others force my hand with regard to liscensing.  The
difference is what we would have others do unto us, I suppose.

> The BSD follows a similar principle, but is weaker. The intent is that
> the promulgator would like any software that he is able to change be
> essentially unfettered, and doesn't care whether derivatives are always
> available in future, or that the associated option to research and/or
> modify is preserved.

And thus the discussion draws to a close.  We know where we stand, and that we
disagree.  It's been very interesting.

Aaron Lehmann
--
Sometimes you stay the course;