[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religious leaders

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Fri Sep 3 22:27:37 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:44:12PM -0700, Ralph De Witt wrote:
> Christian leaders denounce Falwell, Robertson in New York Times ad
> By Robert Marus
> Associated Baptist Press
> September 1, 2004
[...]
> The religious leaders' petition said the quotations prove that
> Falwell and Robertson -- and other unnamed conservative Christian
> leaders -- "mistakenly claim that God has taken a side in this
> election, and that Christians should only vote for George W. Bush.
>
> "We believe that claims of divine appointment for the president,
> uncritical affirmation of his policies, and assertions that all
> Christians must vote for his re-election constitute bad theology and
> dangerous religion," it continued, saying that "sincere Christians
> and other people of faith can choose to vote for President Bush or
> Senator Kerry -- for reasons deeply rooted in their faith."

This is where I have to disagree with this group.  How can you think
that God doesn't have a side?  God is running the show!  He obviously
isn't going to be rooting for the wrong team and be disappointed when
his pick doesn't win.  It is stupidity to try to say that God has no
hand or doesn't take sides in political issues, He is in the center of
them.

While I may not agree with the way that Falwell and Robertson portrayed
their message that you can only vote for Bush, I completely disagree
with this rebuttal.  While the moderates may not like to think about God
taking part in our election process and government there is no escaping
the fact that He is in charge.  Shame on both sides for making a
disgrace of God to the lost.

Brian

PS. To you non-Americans: sorry for all the political talk, with our
elections coming up soon it is a _hot_ topic.  We'll be done talking
about our problems soon!  ;-)

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7