[CS-FSLUG] weird network problems

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Thu Sep 2 10:29:18 CDT 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:00 am, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 10:53, Tim Young wrote:
> > I see why the tech support people had a problem finding things.  ;)
> > Cable-modem should be the simplest one, the least likely to give you
> > problems. You keep choosing paths that throw out the easy-answer
> > solutions. :)
> >
> > I had a problem once that the DHCP was set to renew itself fairly
> > regularly. (every other day) and that kept knocking out my cablemodem
> > connection.  I ended up doing a "no-no" which solved the problem.  Once I
> > connected up once and found the IP address that the Cable company gave
> > me, I entered that into the router instead of using DHCP.  So I took the
> > IP address, Netmask, and Gateway and put those in the WAN IP address
> > area.
> >
> > I would not do that unless you find that your router was trying to renew
> > it's IP address just before it lost it's connection.
> >
> :-) Yeah, depending on your setup the cable company might get mad at you
>
> and/or have to shut service off so you didn't affect another customer.

Well If I understand correctly, I have 2 static IP's that are mine So I wonder
if this would work.

But then again, on the other hand I don't think DHCP would renew itself every
20 minutes or so. I lose connection very frequently. sometimes 10 minutes, 5
minutes etc etc. I can't get a pattern here at all.
--
David M.
http://www.edificationweb.com