[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up DSL Router

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 2 09:46:16 CDT 2004

At 11:47 AM 9/1/04, Don Parris wrote:

>I'm just now upgrading from dial-up to DSL.  Anyone familiar with
>configuring the router?  I'm running SUSE 8.0 Pro and using a brand
>new Westell DSL modem (router).  My system knows it's there, but it
>obviously ain't configured right.

It's not "obvious" to me.  If you don't tell us what's wrong, we cannot
help fix it.  If Linux is assigned an ip address from the router, then DHCP
server on the router and DHCP client on your machine would appear to be
setup correctly.

>I'll be happy to send the ifconfig and anything else useful.
>
>username & password are correct for the service.  DNS servers are
>properly entered.  I've got just about everything setup except the
>router/modem.  I called BellSouth, and they gave me the internal ip
>addr for the router,

Most DSL providers use DHCP to provide your router with this information,
so the router is a DHCP client to the ISP and then a DHCP server to your
network.  It appears you are going with manual ip setup, which is not
typical, but might be correct for Bell South.  In any case, the router
should have a 'status' page - does that indicate "connected"?  If so, that
part is configured properly.

Frank