[CS-FSLUG] weird network problems

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Sep 2 09:53:00 CDT 2004

I see why the tech support people had a problem finding things.  ;)
Cable-modem should be the simplest one, the least likely to give you problems.
You keep choosing paths that throw out the easy-answer solutions. :)

I had a problem once that the DHCP was set to renew itself fairly regularly.
(every other day) and that kept knocking out my cablemodem connection.  I ended
up doing a "no-no" which solved the problem.  Once I connected up once and
found the IP address that the Cable company gave me, I entered that into the
router instead of using DHCP.  So I took the IP address, Netmask, and Gateway
and put those in the WAN IP address area.

I would not do that unless you find that your router was trying to renew it's
IP address just before it lost it's connection.

	- Tim