[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Leon Brooks xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net
Thu Sep 2 08:41:34 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:31, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
> Since I don't seek to gain from the
> software, I don't stand to lose, and I'd rather assume that the
> fatherless are named "Annie" and not "Dodger."  Just because some men
> will seek to exploit me, does not mean that I should seek to eploit
> all men.

Would that it were so simple. I don't suggest that you exploit all men,
or any men, but I do suggest that selecting a BSD licence over GPL
*just* because the GPL prevents forks from legitimately closing is more
than a little short-sighted.

Why should you cater for that market segment and open everyone else in
the market to a higher risk of the effects of embrace-and-extend?

Why should you choose to release software in a fashion which tends to
favour larger software companies over smaller?

Not sure how that works? A Inc is a large company. B Inc is a small
company. They both decide to enter the market for Widget Organisation
Software. They both see that Aaron's Handy Dandy Widget Organiser v0.6
does a lot of what they need, so they both take it and start developing
from it. Straight away, there is duplication of effort. Then A Inc sees
B Inc enter the market, so it adds a proprietary twist to the software
that allows it to import data from B Inc's implementation, but not
export; then they add a few impressive looking but not very useful
bells and whistles and market it for all they're worth. Now customers
can migrate from you to A or B, from B to you or A, but not away from A
to you or B. They have used the "close-ability" of your release to lock
out competition, which after they have wiped out B Inc means that they
can jack the prices.

Now run the same scenario again with the GPL. A Inc may well add
frobnules to the software, but they can't be proprietary ones, and they
can't use mongolian horde programming technology to bury B, because
anything they add, B can also get. B is always around to keep them
honest, customers can migrate freely between your package, A and B,
much duplication of effort is avoided, your own package is improved so
you have something better to give as well. A much better result.

Now ask yourself this question: if I had an opportunity to do good in a
way which discouraged exploitation, and turned my back on it, allowing
exploitation to proceed as a result of my decision, will I or will I
not be held accountable for that?

Cheers; Leon

--
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:
I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.