[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent Linux crash

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Thu Sep 2 07:32:41 CDT 2004

Ruth: No problem at all, my sister. Just keep me posted when you can.

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Thursday 02 September 2004 01:08, linux at rmf.mailshell.com wrote:
> Sorry, Eduardo,
> I just fished this out of the junk bin! Else I could have tried this
last week perhaps. Right now it's too late, but I'll try to squeeze it
in soon, as your instructions look plain enough to follow, and sound as
if they'll do the trick.

> Basically, the two weeks I was trying to "move in" to Mandrake, I
explored a lot and tried out various programs - mostly read Helps,
etc., and created a few plain text files. I would imagine those files
might stay in place, right?
> I'm more or less resigned to losing the emails I was answering (I was
trying
> about 4 different programs!), and I don't mind setting up the
graphical
> environment again. So I'm printing out your advice to use as soon as
possible.
> If not tomorrow night, then Friday night.
>
> Many thanks & Blessings!
> Ruth
>
> >From Eduardo Sanchez <lists at sombragris.org> on 25 Aug 2004:
>
> > Ruth, thanks for replying.
> >
> > Then, you know you're on the console. Just a hypothetical question:
do
> > you have any valuable information on KDE? I might suggest you a
quick
> > and dirty trick to reconfigure KDE, but then you would have to
> > re-configure it again (i.e., set up your KMail email accounts,
desktop
> > icons, wallpapers, all over again). Would it be OK with you?
> >
> > Meanwhile, I have some tricks to show you.
> >
> > First of all, you need to go to the console. Type Ctrl-Alt and a
> > function key between F1 and F6 to get you the console prompt.
> >
> > You will see something like:
> >
> > Mandrake Linux Release 9.1 (Whatever)
> > Linux 2.4.19-25mdk
> >
> > login:
> >
> > There, supply your username and password.
> >
> > Then you will see your console prompt, something like:
> >
> > [ruth at localhost ruth] $
> >
> > Now, get the root prompt. Type the 'su' command. When the command
asks
> > you for a password, supply your *root* password.
> >
> > Then, your console prompt should look like:
> >
> > [root at localhost ruth] #
> >
> > The '#' prompt means you're root now.
> >
> > Then kill the X Window System (it is necessary for our manipulation)
by
> > typing the command 'telinit 3'. This kills X Window and leaves you
with
> > a bare console (no graphical mode at all).
> >
> > Once you killed the graphical mode, clear the screen typing Ctrl-L
> > because we would like to get rid of those funny messages which
appeared
> > when you typed 'telinit 3'. Now, get into the Mandrake Control
Center,
> > console version, by typing 'drakconf'.
> >
> > At this time, I don't remember it clearly, but you will have a menu.
Go
> > look for an item named "X Configuration", "Video Configuration", or
> > "Graphical mode configuration". You get the idea. Follow the
> > instructions to re-configure the X window system.
> >
> > When you're finished, exit the Mandrake Control Center. In the root
> > prompt, type now 'telinit 5'. You should get the graphical login
screen
> > all over again.
> >
> > Is it all OK now? I'm awaiting your answer...
> >
> > Eduardo

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
MINNIE AND WINNIE

Minnie and Winnie		Sleep little ladies!
  Slept in a shell,		  Wake not soon!
Sleep, little ladies!		Echo on echo
  And they slept well.		  Dies to the moon.

Pink was the shell within,	Two bright stars
  Silver without;		  Peep'd into the shell,
Sounds of the great sea		What are they dreaming of?
  wandered about.		  Who can tell?

		Started a green linnet
		  Out of the croft;
		Wake, little ladies,