[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Thu Sep 2 01:15:03 CDT 2004

Quoting Aaron Patrick Lehmann <lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu>:

> If I release code, I'll do it altruistically, because I hope it will be
> useful
> to others.  If somebody comes along, improves my code, and takes away my
> users, then well and good.  Their product must be more useful.  I would
> appreciaate a nod from them, indicating that they based on my work, but I
> don't presume to force them to do anything.

I can't help but comment that you email address is a .edu.  BSD licensing is
fairly well suited to the university environment (after all it does even have
Berkeley in the title), but from a business angle to me it seems safer for a
corporation to release code under a license more like the GPL.

David Aikema