[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Leon Brooks xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net
Thu Sep 2 00:09:16 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:59, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
> if I attach a rider saying, "To derive
> from my code, you cannot protect your intellectual and commercial
> interests in this code by denying others the right to modify and
> distribute your derivative work," everyone says, "What a great guy!"

More precisely, they add "Now I can use this work, sure in the knowledge
that it's very difficult to embrace-and-extend it in ways that will
harm me."

The GPL isn't universally ideal, and many projects (Apache, PostFix,
BIND, PostgreSQL) get along fine without it. Even RMS, who is
personally difficult to deal with, has on at least one occasion blessed
a decision to use a BSD licence instead. However, a backbone of GPLed
software (Linux, KDE, The GIMP) is vital for keeping the, er,
fatherless honest, because said fatherless will be with us until Jesus
returns. We do live in a fallen world, no? Part of our basic theology?

Cheers; Leon

--
Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said,
"What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. If we let him thus alone,