[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:15:45 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:04:03AM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:58:19 -0500
> Aaron Patrick Lehmann <lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:53:59PM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Aaron -- if you so dislike the GPL and I assume you are a man of
> > > principles, why do you use GPL'd software? You would appear to be
> > > somewhat of a hypocrite -- no?
> >
> > Not at all.  I have no trouble USING GPL'ed software, because to my
> > understanding, there's nothing in the GNU Public Liscense that demands
> > me release my products under the GPL, just because I use products that
> > are GPL'ed. So long as I don't make a product that is derivative of a
> > GPL'ed product, I'm not obligated to release under the GPL.  It is the
> > obligation upon developers to GPL their derivative work that I object
> > to, nothing else.
> >
> > Aaron Lehmann
> >
> > --
> > Sometimes you stay the course;
> > Sometimes the course stays you.

> Aaron -- what I meant is that if one really vehemently opposes something
> the to use the same is being hypocritical. I was not trying to engage in
> the pros and cons of the GPL licence.
> There are many folks that, because company 'A' supports certain groups,
> will boycott their products.
>
> If you think the GPL is "virul" -- why do you use it (usage in many
> licence agreements is acceptance of the licence)?
>
> So instead of Linux you could switch to BSD without having any qualms
> about the terms of the licence.

As I said, I haave no qualms with the usage portion of the GPL.  My problem is
with the developement portion.  If I ever create a work derived from a GPL'ed
product, I will follow the liscense and GPL it.  My dislike for a liscense does
not prevent me from following it.  I don't see how my disllke of a liscense
would be construed to obligate me not to use products that are bound by it.  As
previously mentioned, disliking the EULA of closed source products does not
stop me from using the products, only from following their example..

Aaron Lehmann