[CS-FSLUG] Distro joke

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Oct 26 21:17:18 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 19:45, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:

> LOL! I love you Ed, I really do. Now, why would I want to? Just
> curious, is there any app compiled for FreeBSD that I cannot either,
> do without, or find an equivalant for Linux?

Thank you.

Silly question. There are precious few BSD apps not available for Linux.
The only real advantage of FreeBSD, beyond a very subjective sense that
I really like the way it works, is a slight edge on security, a
somewhat smaller footprint, and everything in the system core is far
more simple. Those are hardly compelling for most people. Indeed,
there's so many apps for Linux not available for BSD that the Linux API
became a virtual necessity.

That's the whole joke. People rant and rave about superiority of distros
of Linux and other OSes. I wanted to point out how silly it can be, by
pointedly shooting my "claim" in the foot. I just didn't want to spill
it all out at once.

--
Ed Hurst