[CS-FSLUG] Putting computer in Standby in Linux

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 18 20:38:16 CDT 2004

I've recently discovered that I can put my computer into standby in
Windows and it works perfectly, my last computer didn't do this. I've
not managed to get it to work in Linux however,  I can't even find the
option for it in there. Probably the most comical attempt at figuring
out how to put my computer into standby happened when I pushed the power
button at the log-in screen and wound up turning the computer off
altogether, if anything I learned that unlike some of the versions of
Windows dating back to NT 4 if I'm not mistaken Linux doesn't even have
some sort of safe shutdown process when the power button is pressed.

I'm wondering how I might get a standby option in Linux for when I want
to keep the computer ready for when I need to use it but also nice and
quiet for when I'm trying to sleep at night. Does anyone have any
helpful advice as to where I could find support for this in Mandrake
10.0 and how to use it?

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/