[CS-FSLUG] Plans to go back to Mandrake

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 9 12:39:51 CDT 2004

Before I say anything, I should point out to some people on the list as proof
that I can stick with one distribution that I'm still using SUSE Linux 9.1
Professional and its been quite a while now.

I am considering going back to Mandrake Linux however when 10.1 is released if
I have a fairly enjoyable experience trying it because SUSE has some
interesting performance issues and a few quirks that I also find unfortunate.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't because SUSE is bad or because its got a lot
of serious bugs its just for me Mandrake seems to run much better and this
could be anything from what hardware is in my computer to my own perception
of things. After all Mandrake was the very first distribution I started using
and its also the one I've been using the longest so I'm used to it.

If there is one thing I have to credit to each distribution its that SUSE has
a really professional feel to it the whole way through, from the installation
to the desktop to post install configuration everything is where it should be
and everything except the GTK applications look nice and integrate well into
the distribution (even OpenOffice.org looks like part of KDE). Mandrake
however is a distribution I'm more comfortable with, I know where I can get
software which I cannot find for SUSE, I've found that Mandrake 10.0 has
better performance then SUSE 9.1 and that will be a real plus if Mandrake
goes on to the next version with a continued speed advantage over SUSE which
still needs to learn how to exploit some of the new features of the 2.6
kernel.