[CS-FSLUG] Re: Xmas

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Nov 8 08:15:29 CST 2004

David Kemsley wrote:
> family gathering and catching up with friends. I guess what most of
> society is missing is the Christ part of Christmas (which is why it's
> not so surprising X-mas is becoming popular).

I had thought that the "X" was also meant to remove "Christ" from
Christmas.  A seminary professor explained the origins differently,
though.  He said that it was just an easy abreviation as the "X" was the
Greek letter (Chi) which is the first letter of "Christ" in Greek.
Therefore, the "X" in "Xmas" is really "Christ".

It is also the same "X" in IXOYE that Christians use in the fish symbol.
  Is that "X" trying to take "Christ" out of the fish?

See also:

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/breakfast/stories/s751304.htm

and

http://www.wordwizard.com/clubhouse/founddiscuss.asp?Num=2499