[CS-FSLUG] America & Iraq

David Kemsley dkemsley at lism.catholic.edu.au
Fri Nov 5 06:30:03 CST 2004

Dear Fred and other friends in Christ,

Firstly I'd just like to say how excited I was when I found this User
Group. I've been involved in other LUGs, each having a lot of Zeal for
the free software world. But this is the first I've come across with
members zealous for Christ and having an interest in Linux :D

Secondly I'd like to say I don't normally get involved in political
discussions. We all know this world is perishing which hopefully reminds
us where we need to have our focus - eternity with Christ! :). And of
course to see the urgency in letting people know of this great news.
Having said that, I tend to find myself getting frustrated over justice
in the world as I can see others do.

Thirdly, and I fear I'll get flamed off for saying this, but I don't
agree with most of the political stuff on this list. I'm against the war
on Iraq and the motivation behind it. I'm against the way George Bush
has used fear to drive a war which America needed to support itself
financially. I'm against the way other countries (including my own -
Australia) were dragged into a war which had nothing to do with them. I
find it hard to believe the propaganda that Iraq were a terrorist
threat, and that the war has now helped that (IMHO war only creates
terrorists). I find it hard to believe that it was a justice war against
an evil tyrant when it was America that put him in to power to begin with.

Why am I saying all this? To point out that not everyone sees things the
same way. I was disappointed to see all these political posts and have
felt somewhat alien to this list because of that. Thankfully we do have
things in common - Linux, and more importantly, our trust in Christ.

Would it be possible to limit the political opinions. I know I'm new and
I could always ignore them but I can see that if there's others who
don't see eye-to-eye about politics they would feel out of place too.
Perhaps another list for politics(?).

Please let me know if I'm not welcome and I'll promptly remove myself
from the list.

David

--
This email is intended for the named recipients only.  It may contain
privileged and/or confidential information.  Named recipients may only

Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses. Our liability
is limited to resupply any affected attachments.

Unless explicitly attributed the opinions expressed in this message are the personal
views of the sender and do not necessarily represent the corporate opinion of the
school, the CEO or the Diocese of Lismore.