[CS-FSLUG] Mandrake hardware support

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon May 31 00:50:32 CDT 2004

On May 30, 2004 8:05 pm, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:
> > The download edition always seem to have something wrong with them and
> > its
>
> And you don't think that the powerpack version does?

I was hoping it wouldn't, how could anyone miss the kind of bugs that get into
the final download editions?

anyway I've run into a lot of trouble with OpenOffice.org in Mandrake Linux
10.0 and I cannot possibly fix the file associations, they are just too
messed up so I'm going back to SUSE Linux.

Until I get a copy of SUSE Linux I'll be using Windows as even Microsoft can
put out a better product then Mandrakesoft, I'll no longer waste CD's on
Mandrake Linux.

> > BTW. Does the Mandrake club download edition have advertisements in it
> > during the installation process? What about payed links in the system
> > after its been installed?
>
> Mandrake Club basic gives you a few week headstart with the download
> release, silver and above give you access to some of the powerpack ISOs.

The problem with Mandrake Linux is that its so expensive, I liked 10.0 at
first just like every other one of their releases until I found where all the
the bugs were hiding and then it was terrible (just like every other release
except 9.1). I wouldn't waste my money on a distribution that can't manage to
put together a good _usable_ distribution and yet puts a price on it as if it
were.

> David

I know those "no distribution is perfect" replies are comming so I'll take
care of that now, SUSE works perfectly fine on my computer except for the
delay with SUSEPlugger when I insert a USB thumb drive and hopefully that
will be resolved in 9.1, if not then I'll know within a few days of June 4
when the public FTP version gets released.

Since Mandrake nearly had me buying a copy of their distribution so many times
before I found out about the bugs I'm to try every distribution for a week or
two before even thinking about something like that and if I can't try the
distribution then I will not buy a copy either.

BTW. Does SUSE have any sort of trade in policy where I can send in an
unwanted boxed Linux distro (Xandros 2.0 professional) in exchange for a copy
of SUSE 9.1 professional or at least get some sort of discount?