[CS-FSLUG] Trivial questions

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Thu May 27 11:36:23 CDT 2004

Thanks to everyone for the tips and answers.

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 21:44, john-thomas richards wrote:

> > > the general rule of thumb is to have a swap file at least twice
the size
> > > of physical ram.
> > >
> > It really depends on the use of the machine.  In a
desktop/workstation
> > you might want 2x ram, but on a server this shouldn't be necessary.
In
> > a server you don't want much stuff being swapped out to disk and if
you
> > find that you are using much swap at all, it is better to get more
RAM.
> > So, on a server it shouldn't matter much as you shouldn't be using
the
> > swap anyway.
>
> i agree that swapping to disk is not good server practice, but what
> happens when a mission-critical has a memory leak that leaks rapidly
and
> uses up all the physical ram?  with a disk swap performance would
> clearly suffer, but the machine would continue to *run*.  most linux
> servers are x86 and therefore limited in the physical ram they can
have
> so adding far too much ram is often not feasible.
> --
> john-thomas
> ------
> A failure is a man who has blundered but is not able to cash in on the
> experience.
> Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
No man ever doubted that the commodity of tea could bear an imposition
of threepence. But no commodity will bear threepence, or will bear a
penny, when the general feelings of men are irritated, and two millions
of people are resolved not to pay. The feelings of the colonies were
formerly the feelings of Great Britain. Theirs were formerly the
feelings of Mr. Hampden when called upon for the payment of twenty
shillings. Would twenty shillings have ruined Mr. Hampden's fortune? No!
but the payment of half twenty shillings, on the principle it was
demanded, would have made him a slave.

		-- Edmund Burke