[CS-FSLUG] Back to Mandrake

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 01:23:27 CDT 2004

Okay,

> - I am not a member of the Mandrake club and would
> rather buy a boxed set.

Fine here. Both SUSE and Mandrake offer those.

> - I have an NVidia GeForce FX card and would like
> drivers for it.

I wish you luck with accereration on that card. I have
the same card and it took some time to find an RPM for
Fedora with the drivers. The 2.6 Kernel makes a real
difference though in performance. I am not aware of
any distro that compiles and adds support, although I
am sure that they are out there.

Here is the official driver page.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

This site has links to actual drivers, joy!
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/02/191238&mode=thread

> - I want to have Java support, preferrably even the
> J2SDK (software developers kit)

Which one? Sun, Blackdown, etc...

> - I want good multimedia support if possible, that
> include Macromedia flash player.

They have an apt repository for these now. Someone
even made a flash animation maker (looks like the real
thing) for Linux.

> - Third party package sources such as the Penguin
> liberation front should be excluded from the
> comparison as last time I had them added as a source

> of RPM's it messed up all my packages and left me
> with a really unstable system.
> I found out that some cooker RPM's make it in there
> so unless I'm only getting specific packages from
> them I will not use them at all.

Mandrake does have a much better selection in that
area.