[CS-FSLUG] Trivial questions

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Tue May 25 08:18:31 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 21:39, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:22:18PM -0400, Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
[snip]

> > 2. If I have a RAM of size X with a swapfile of size Y, and I suddenly
> > upgrade the RAM to 2X, should I increase the swapfile size? how much?
> > how can I do it if it is necessary?
>
> the general rule of thumb is to have a swap file at least twice the size
> of physical ram.

It really depends on the use of the machine.  In a desktop/workstation
you might want 2x ram, but on a server this shouldn't be necessary.  In
a server you don't want much stuff being swapped out to disk and if you
find that you are using much swap at all, it is better to get more RAM.
So, on a server it shouldn't matter much as you shouldn't be using the
swap anyway.