[CS-FSLUG] Notebook computers

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Mon May 24 08:23:53 CDT 2004

On Sunday 23 May 2004 09:12 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
> listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> >Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:

> BTW. I don't know if supervisor passwords can be set in all BIOS's but I
> do want to have that too, that way if the notebook were to be stolen
> whoever steals it would have a headache getting through the supervisor
> password and then getting through the passwords in Linux (which
> hopefully won't happen)

Putting a BIOS password on a computer is  pointless, because all one has to do
is remove the battery on the motherboard, short the jumper out, put the
jumper and battery  back and the BIOS is fully reset.

so if someone were to steal the computer, if they know what they are doing,
they could be past the BIOS in 5 minutes. if someone who doesn't know
anything about comuters were to steal it, having a computer tech reset the
BIOS isn't expensive. So your best bet is to padlock your laptop to your
waiste. ; - )

David M.