[CS-FSLUG] Notebook computers

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun May 23 22:27:33 CDT 2004

> BTW. I don't know if supervisor passwords can be set in all BIOS's but
> I do want to have that too, that way if the notebook were to be stolen
> whoever steals it would have a headache getting through the supervisor
> password and then getting through the passwords in Linux (which
> hopefully won't happen).

	I think most (all?) will let you do that. The Mac doesn't have a
normal BIOS, but I believe you can lock down OpenFirmware.

> I am very concerned about all the issues I've heard of with Mac's. If
> I do go with an iBook I'll probably go with whatever extended warranty
> is available because I've heard about people having all sorts of
> trouble with those. I'm not sure about

	I think you're going to have a good chance of some type of problem
with any notebook, so warranties are always a good idea (3-year
extended warranties are especially good).

	I'd recommend an "official" warranty, though. I mean, a lot of stores
will sell you a warranty, but make sure to get one from the
manufacturer... I think you will be happier.

> Mac OS X either as I want something that can network with Linux and
> I've never tried the OS before, I'd personally much

	No problem there. Mac OS X is just BSD at its core, so it gets along
fine with GNU/Linux and Windows (it runs Samba and nfs for file sharing
and CUPS for printing). TerraSoft Solutions will even install GNU/Linux
on an iBook for ya, actually (and they do have the educational
discounts), btw.

	Big points if you look for a laptop battery life, battery life,
battery life, and, did I mention battery life? :-)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |