[CS-FSLUG] 5 button mouse

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Sat May 22 15:17:54 CDT 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 01:49 pm, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:14:46 +0300
>
> Nigel Ridley <nigel at i-amfaithweb.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:46:27 -0400
> >
> > "David M." <dave at edificationweb.com> wrote:
> > > Anyone know if a 5 button mouse will work under mandrake? The mouse
> > > has 2 extra buttons on the side of it that when using Internet
> > > Explorer act as the back and forward buttons.
> > >
> > > also my keyboard has some extra function keys: "internet" (opens
> > > browser window) E-Mail, and "search" (opens the dialog to find files
> > > on your computer) and volume up and down and mute button, Is it
> > > possible to get these extra buttons to work under linux?
> > >
> > > David M.
>
> [snip]
>
> > There is also an app (can't remember the name at the moment) that
> > enable multi-media keys on keyboards -- will look for it and let you
> > know.......
>
> Found it:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/acme/

Nigel,

Thank you so much for helping me here. I downloaded the ACME, but have to say,
it only worked with Gnome Apps, and I looked in the configuration file to see
if I could specify my own apps, but that was a no go.

But other than that, thank you for helping me out. I also tried the mouse hack
you gave me, and it works except the extra buttons only scroll the window
left and right, and I can't figure how to get it to use the back and forward
buttons in a browser instead.

but I found a project for kde 3.2 that looks promising, im going to give it a
try and let everyone know.

David M.