[CS-FSLUG] What Happened to Nautalus

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 04:18:23 CDT 2004

I updated my Fedora and Cobind Boxes with the Fedora
Core 2 repositories.

What the heck happened?
And Naulilus looks 'spatial' now, as it is called.
There are no back/up/reload buttons anymore; it's just
icons and folders and apps. Weird, especially coming
from the well refined nautilus of Gnome 2.5 series.
All that work gone ... almost.

The Velocity Filemamager, on the other hand, looks
like the Atlantis web browser. It has the sidebar and
toolbar of atlantis and comes with easy to see icons.

I must admit that the windows 95 style opening new
windows for every folder thing is kinda ... wierd. I
have read some articles on the thinking behind this,
but all the technology and the work that went into the
old nautilus's user friendliness. It's a shame.

I wonder if I could make a version of the CLAW that is
'spatial'? It would be cool to try. I'd probably start
from scratch, though.