[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Windows XP does something fishy

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu May 20 19:22:29 CDT 2004

It has in the past downloaded windows update without asking me, and I do
have it set up to index the file on the hard drive for faster searching
but I don't see why it would need to do that all the time while its idle.

I do have anti-virus however the automatic tests are scheduled for 6:30
AM so that would not explain what my computer does at night when its idle.

As for Windows calling home to Redmond I thought about that myself
because of the increased liberty Microsoft has taken in invading
people's privacy (DRM and palladium for example) however I cannot say
that for certain and unless I have significant reason to believe that is
the case I shouldn't cause any trouble over speculation.