[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue May 11 21:21:36 CDT 2004

Howdy Jukka,
> First ran 16 MHz (used MacIntosh LC with Motorola 68020-processor). I sold
> after two years of experimenting because I couln't afford MacIntosh-programs.
> There was some "performance" values for it (http://www.lowendmac.com/lc/
> lc.shtml): 1.8, relative to SE (compare to 2.4 for Mac II); 0.87, MacBench
> 2.0 CPU; 3.31, Speedometer 3.06; 0.22, Speedometer 4; 2.6 MIPS

	Ah, one of the first Macs. Nice! :-)

> Third one had 33MHz (some used pc-clone PC with Intel 80386 SX-processor). It
> worked fine and now it is covered with dust somewhere in storage-room...good
> machine - which introduced me linux with GUI (Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, Caldera
> Openlinux, Turbolinux, Storm-Linux etc, etc).

	I started playing with GNU/Linux on a 100 MHz Pentium box. Amazing,
that box couldn't even begin to run KDE or GNOME now (reasonably at
least)...

> In addition to my desktop-computer, I have Palm m505-handheld, which runs 33
> MHz (it uses Motorola Dragonball VZ-processor). I feel it a bit slow, but it
> serves ,me well enough (for some note-taking and small databases) so I have
> decided not to upgrade it very soon.

	That's a nice one. I have a Palm Vx (20 MHz). It's mostly retired, but
a good little PDA still.

	The 505's color, isn't it?

> I feel my current desktop is quite responsive in all kind of things I do
> (currently - in addition to usual "office"-programs - I do a lot of image
> processing + some cad-drawing/svg-graphics), thought I have some plans to buy
> a new >2600 MHz-machine ;).

	If you're the DIY type, you might check out newegg's prices. I got a
great deal on a 2.6 GHz P4 with HT for the Shuttle XPC I built last
year. I paid $174 for the CPU. I then added a $80 SATA hard disk and $40
combo DVD/CD-RW drive. Not too bad at all... :-)

> (btw. thanks for these "QOTW"'s - they give us all a good chance to
> participate, even not having much experties ;).

	You're welcome... I'm glad you find them interesting. :-) I did these
when the list first started and then got busy and quit doing them.
Judging by the response, I'm glad I brought 'em back!

	Blessings,
	               Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |