[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon May 10 22:11:41 CDT 2004

What was the megahertz speed of your first computer? What is the speed
of your present computer? Have you ever owned a system with a
"performance rating" instead of a MHz rating? Do you check your system
speed to see if it really is running at the advertised speed?

I'm not sure, to be honest -- I'd have to check to see what the TI
99/4A's specs where. My first PC compatible ran at 33 MHz, though (it
was a Intel 486 DX).

My current PC runs at 2.66 GHz (but, to answer the last question, its
actual speed is 2657.883). It's a Pentium 4 without Hyperthreading... HT
boxen run at .06 less GHz. My Mac runs at 2.0 GHz (yes, that's the
actual speed too).

I've never run a "performance rating" processor. Although, if I were
building a DIY PC compatible at the moment, I'd be very tempted by the
AMD Athlon 64. (Offtopic: Remember when Cyrix was trying to do a non-MHz
rating in the mid-90's?)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |