[CS-FSLUG] ISO backups of removable media

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 30 08:36:32 CST 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:04:11PM -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> If you modprobe loop you can mount an ISO with the
> mount -t iso5993 /dir/to/iso/expample.iso /mnt/dir
> command. I'm not sure on the command, but it's pretty close to that. YOu can
> look inside any iso image with this method. Pretty neat eh?

Slight correction:

  mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 /path/to/file.iso /mnt/iso

If you have a kernel which autoloads modules you won't need to modprobe
the loop module.  Most default kernels are going to have this ability.
Then when it is done with the loop module it will nicely rmmod it for
you.  :)  Mounting .iso files before burning them is an excellent idea,
just to make sure you aren't burning a coaster.  Also, if you have it,
the `isovfy' command is nice.  `isovfy file.iso' will just check that it
is a complete iso and not b0rked.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7