[CS-FSLUG] Why I'm going back to Windoze and Mandrake Linux

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Fri Mar 26 14:00:13 CST 2004

> I knew beforehand that I might not like Xandros Linux and that spending the
> money was a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong its not a bad distribution if
[...]
> deaf ears, even when I told them my serial key as was suggested by someone in
> the forums to prove that I was a paying customer.

  I think overall you are right, although I do think perhaps Xandros was
a bad choice for a gamer because that has never been what they aimed for
(frankly, the Linux gamer/home user market isn't as lucrative as the
Linux business market).

> I'm wondering what the rest of you might have to say about this, maybe you
> agree or dissagree with my reasoning?

   Well, I think its a good choice to move back to a Free Software
distribution. :-) Personally, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks for
Fedora Core 2 and giving that a spin. If stuff won't compile on Red Hat,
what will it compile on?

  Mandrake, I fear, is headed the wrong way. It still provides the most
usable desktop out of the box, IMO, but the gains Fedora has made on it
in such a short time is stunning. Fedora Core 2 + GNOME 2.6 is going to
be a killer desktop.

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |