[CS-FSLUG] Multi-platform backup strategy

N.Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 30 16:49:16 CDT 2004

I like the idea of a central file server with a raid setup that would
use at least two or three drives in case one or two of them fail but
thats because you can just keep adding more computers to the network and
after a little setup instantly have access to those files. One thing I
did was create a fat32 partition that I stored everything I shared
between Windows and Linux on but I stopped doing that because fat32 has
a terrible problem with fragmentation and Linux as far as I know doesn't
have anything to defragment fat partitions. If you do still boot into
Windows from time to time it might be easier to create the fat32
partition if you have the space on your hard drive because you can
defragment it in Windows, unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem
for the iBook and your roommate's computer.

If you go with a file server and have the funds for it I would suggest
researching mini-itx mainboards and computers, unless I'm mistaken they
use significantly less power, Macs also use less power then X86's but I
don't know how significant the difference is. If you really want a
small, energy efficient file server see if you can hook up a harddrive
or two to any one of these
http://www.mini-itx.com/news/archive.asp?date=0403#story0312 ;-) .

If you are looking for something cost efficient you could try USB drives
or jumpdrives but I know from experience that SUSE Linux 9.0 and 9.1
don't like those very much :-( .