[CS-FSLUG] Limit on User Resource Usage

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Sun Jun 27 03:02:58 CDT 2004

Quoting "Timothy R. Butler" <tbutler at uninetsolutions.com>:

> But, in the process I've noticed something else... one of my users (one
> of mine, not one of my account holders actually) is taking up way to
> much of the processor's resources. Is there any way I can limit what
> that user can take at any point (i.e. never more than 50% of the CPU or
> never more than so many minutes of CPU time, etc.)? Is this possible
> without messing up a lot of other things?

Well, if you enable process accounting in your kernel, you should be able to use
'ulimit'.  I don't know if you'll be able to get a percentage limit that way
though.

I think some of these virtual server programs manage to somehow achieve the
effect that you're looking for, although it might be a bit of work to move to
that sort of setup.

David