[CS-FSLUG] BSD-questions

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Jun 21 08:45:02 CDT 2004

Jukka Y wrote:
> Surfed some and question no. 1 is now already answered - looks like BSD's runs
> anything I could imagine run on Linux. :-)

Yes. When the BSDs say something is "ported," they aren't kidding. With
few exceptions, it's been setup to compile and install with all the
patches and tweaking necessary to make it work.

>>1. What are my software choices for BSD's (eg. can I use for example any
>>linux-software on them)?
>>2. Are there any performance-hits or some other problems with
>>linux-software? 3. Which BSD would you suggest for a multimedia-workstation
>>use?

As Frank wrote regarding OpenBSD, so it is with FreeBSD: there is a
Linux emulator that allows running almost all Linux apps natively from
the kernel level. Only a few things won't work. At one point, I found
that the Linux version of OO.o ran faster on BSD than the BSD version
did. On occasion, BSD will run an Linux app faster on the same machine
than any Linux distro will.

FreeBSD gets more attention in the multi-media area. NetBSD is aimed at
maximum spread on multiple hardware platforms, and suffers a bit in
other areas. OpenBSD is secure in the extreme, and that is it's focus.

All are likely to work fairly well for most things, and you might not
notice any difference at a desktop user level. I can probably get you an
answer for almost anything within 24 hours.

--
Ed Hurst