[CS-FSLUG] RIAA stoops to new lows

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Sun Jun 20 00:24:16 CDT 2004

Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:

> I won't be buying any more music CD's, whats the point if some malicious
> company gets to tell me whether or not I can listen to it.

Simple solution: don't run windows (or perhaps MacOS if they're trying to cover
a larger user case), or if running Windows then shut off autorun.

I seem to recall a while back a lawsuit being threatened by the RIAA (under the
DMCA of course) against someone who told people if they held down the shift key
while inserting the CD this wouldn't be a problem.

It would be nice if they had a Canadian equivalent to AllOfMp3.com, but I
suppose that it can't be expected that something like that would be permitted
to existing in the current legal climate.  If I pay for it, then I'd better not
be getting something encrypted.

David