[CS-FSLUG] QOTW #6: Computer Naming

Timothy Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 17 00:34:05 CDT 2004

Ok, so I haven't been very good at keeping this up once again... but
I'm gonna keep it going. Hopefully, I'll get the QOTW back to Monday
next week with a question contributed to me by David McGlone. But this
week, I'm going to base it on a question Flip asked me about my
computers. As always feel free to answer below or perhaps take this
question and use it for a meme on your own blog.

What names do you have for your computers?

  Well, not all of them are still in service, but I'll order the ones
that have been named from the oldest (built in 1997) to the newest
(purchased last week). Prior to '98, I didn't network systems, so it
wasn't necessary for such names to be employed in my case.

  Fred: A Pentium 100 long retired. One of only three systems without
some connection to Dilbert.
  Dellbert: My first Dell, and a play on the name Dilbert.
  Lapbert: My first networked laptop.
  Sneakers: I wasn't planning to upgrade when I did, so it "snuck" in...
thus sneakers.
  Catbert: the Ruby iMac.
  Wally: the Shuttle XPC... shiny sort of like Wally's bald head in
Dilbert.
  Cedar: This one is the server you are reading this off of. Since it is
offsite, I decided to start a new naming convention for it. If and when
I need a new server some day, it might be "pine." It's domain is
cedar.serverforest.com.
  Albert: The G5 (Aluminum + bert = Albert).
  Hapbert: The PowerBook... I thought about apbert (Apple + bert) but
that didn't sound so good, so it is officially "Happy APple BERT."
Pathetic, I know.

  Were's Dogbert? I'm glad you asked. That's my wifi network.

  I may try to go a bit more orthodox and revise these. Here's a thought
on more proper Dilbert naming:

  Dellbert = Dilbert.
  Lapbert = Bob.
  Sneakers = Wally
  Wally = Ratbert
  Albert = Alice
  Cedar = Elbonians
  Hapbert = Dogbert
  Dogbert = Asok

  Waddya think? Post your own naming conventions below, if you'd like.
Do you follow the popular trend of using Greek mythological characters?
Perhaps you too use Dilbert?