[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.1

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Wed Jun 16 21:52:13 CDT 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 05:29, David M. wrote:
[snip]

> even easier, just backup your whole /home dir and /etc, on the fresh
> install, just replace the new /home with the backed up one and select only
> the files you need from etc and your whole system should be back to like it
> was before the fresh install.
>
> I think I am the king of fresh installs (not fresh distro's) ; -) because I
> do a lot of re-installing and re-configuring. I just did a fresh install of
> MDK 10 not even a week ago, and with this install I excluded as many
> applications as I possibly could to try and make my system more lean, mean
> and clean with no extra apps i'll never use.
>
> David M.

I found these comments concerning /etc-directory from some article
(http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/) that explained linux filesystem:

"/etc - This directory contains all the configuration files for your system.
Your lilo.conf file lies in this directory as does hosts, resolv.conf and
fstab. Under this directory will be X11 sub-directory which contains the
configuration files for X. More importantly, the /etc/rc.d directory
contains the system startup scripts. This is a good directory to backup
often. It will definitely save you a lot of re-configuration later if you
re-install or lose your current installation."

Blessings,
Jukka