[CS-FSLUG] SUSE again

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 15 11:09:33 CDT 2004

K. Luckenbaugh wrote:

> Ed Hurst wrote:
>
>> kellyarmstrong at prodigy.net wrote:
>>

>>> I'm currently running SUSE 9.0 and was thinking of upgrading to 9.1.
>>> I was wondering if you think it would be worth the effort. The main
>>> thing I see is it uses the 2.6 kernel.
>>> Also I was wondering where konqueror keeps the bookmarks so I could
>>> save them if I upgrade.
>>> In Christ,
>>>         Kelly Wayne
>>>

>> Kelly, I believe you should not. I have been reading the Usenet group
>> for SUSE (alt.os.linux.suse) and there are plenty of troubles, with many
>> hardware devices no longer supported properly, especially sound chipsets
>> and USB hardware.
>>
>> You can get a precompiled 2.6 kernel for SUSE 9.0, and the latest KDE is
>> always a week or two behind source releases. I don't have links off
>> hand, but I would feel certain I could find them with Google web or
>> Google groups.
>>

> I disagree.
> USB works.
> Sound works
> All my hardware works.
>
> -Kelly

For what its worth I'm glad you had no trouble with SUSE but I'll have
agree with Ed because I've seen personally that USB support in both SUSE
9.0 and 9.1 was problematic as far a USB thumb drives go. I don't know
why SUSE isn't concentrating their efforts on fixing that, floppy drives
are nearly extinct on modern computers and USB drives and SD cards seem
to be the two most likely alternatives to me, I think BIOS's now support
using USB thumb drives as boot mediums just like floppy disks and CD's,
eventually I imagine smaller distributions will allow you to install
them from USB drives.

If you don't have any USB drives to worry about then I imaging you
shouldn't have any trouble with SUSE 9.1 as it is a good distribution, I
couldn't stick with it myself because all my work is saved on USB thumb
drives :-( .